Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless toxic gas that (when inhaled) can cause weakness, headaches, dizziness, seizures, coma, and even death. Typical symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning include: Difficulty moving, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, and headache.
If you wake up and notice symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Fall to the ground,
- Crawl to an exit, and
- Get to fresh air immediately.
- Quickly loosen any tight clothing around your neck and waist and call 911.
Do not attempt to rescue anyone left inside without a proper oxygen-delivering mask. Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning who are unconscious will need CPR once outside.
Carbon-monoxide gas is created by the incomplete combustion of carbon-containing compounds found in motor vehicles, fireplaces, forced-air gas stoves or furnaces, and many other appliances that use charcoal or fuel.
Take safety precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning in your home by assuring proper ventilation around any products that generate carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased and installed to alert you when the toxic gas is present. It is also good practice to have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Net Places: http://www.netplaces.com/first-aid/serious-incidents/carbon-monoxide-poisoning.htm
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: http://www.cdc.gov/co/guidelines.htm